Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:33:00 CDT 2015

On 17.06.2015 0:07, André Hentschel wrote:

> Oh man, i didn't plan to jump into that "flamewar"...
>
> But while I’m at it, Jeremy, the only thing about CW that sometimes bugs me, is that CW devs often send their patches without any description.
> (Maybe that was also what Theodore means?)
> Maybe i keep finding only the "bad" ones, but it's always with patches that catch my interest for some reason, and then, no info.
> And that looks a bit like "AJ already knows what this is about and what it is going to fix, no need to mention it".
> And of course i'm far from perfect, so maybe i just picked the "bad" ones and never had a look at the "good" ones, and of course i also don't
> always provide a good description... I just wanted to throw in the only thing that bugs me about CW, don't be offended :)

That's a good question, thank you for sharing that, but I don't believe
it works like that, there's no internal debates or intensive
communication that results in patches stripped from text description.
Sometimes when there's a bug report for it people mention it in mail
body, sometimes they don't, but later mention a fix on a bug report. So
it's up to submitter mostly.

> Aside from that, i think CW is totally awesome to have for Wine.
>
> So my 2c about the wine-staging thing: I think we should integrate them somehow back to winehq.
> Don't get me wrong, don't just merge the patches :D
> I mean the whole idea should not be pushed away. Hello! They want to (and do) "mentor" people to get things upstream! Awesome!
> So what do I mean with integration? Give them some kind of "Approved" stamp, instead of an "Evil" stamp.
> Simply don't push them out of bugzilla, but sure, we also don't want a flood of new bugs which might not be correctly reported by users...
> Simply give them a way too handle/keep track/manage/ripe their patchsets at winehq in a way everyone is happy with,
> maybe accepting git pull request is also a good idea!?
> Simply give them a place at winehq...
> And Staging guys, help people with patches on wine-devel, discuss them on #winehackers, and so on

Exactly, we have everything for that already, a place to discuss things,
irc channel, bugzilla. I don't see why this potential "mentoring" could
not happen directly at wine-devel, separate tag for bugzilla reports on
patched builds could probably work too I guess. Thing is that I don't
remember anyone asking for any of that.

(not commenting on pull requests though)