Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:49:37 CDT 2015

> While it seems Theodore didn't do his homework and didn't know about that source distribution, one of his point remains:
> it's not a database, git, or something easily readable, just a blob
>
> Oh man, i didn't plan to jump into that "flamewar"...

Sadly, we don't have that internally. We don't rebase all our hacks
onto Wine every few weeks and get a "clean" set of patches, Alexandre
just does merges. There are pros and cons to this system, but I doubt
Alexandre will be willing to change it.

We file bugs in our internal tracker documenting and explaining each
hack, but there are still diffs left over from before we adopted that
system, which we don't have documented, and may not understand.

Those old diffs can be more of a liability for us, as they're not
being tested by the wider community, and just because they helped some
application 10 years ago doesn't mean they're not hurting things now.

> Simply don't push them out of bugzilla, but sure, we also don't want a flood of new bugs which might not be correctly reported by users...

A "staging" keyword in bugzilla would be a strong indication that
wine-staging bugs are desired, but we want to know if there's a
difference in behavior between staging and winehq.