Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Marc Bessières marc.bessieres at mykolab.com
Wed Jun 17 14:44:40 CDT 2015

Le mercredi 17 juin 2015, 00:03:28 André Hentschel a écrit :
> Am 16.06.2015 um 23:33 schrieb Nikolay Sivov:
> > On 17.06.2015 0:07, André Hentschel wrote:
> >> Oh man, i didn't plan to jump into that "flamewar"...
> >>
> >> But while I’m at it, Jeremy, the only thing about CW that sometimes bugs
> >> me, is that CW devs often send their patches without any description.
> >> (Maybe that was also what Theodore means?)
> >> Maybe i keep finding only the "bad" ones, but it's always with patches
> >> that catch my interest for some reason, and then, no info. And that
> >> looks a bit like "AJ already knows what this is about and what it is
> >> going to fix, no need to mention it". And of course i'm far from
> >> perfect, so maybe i just picked the "bad" ones and never had a look at
> >> the "good" ones, and of course i also don't always provide a good
> >> description... I just wanted to throw in the only thing that bugs me
> >> about CW, don't be offended :)>
> > That's a good question, thank you for sharing that, but I don't believe it
> > works like that, there's no internal debates or intensive communication
> > that results in patches stripped from text description. Sometimes when
> > there's a bug report for it people mention it in mail body, sometimes
> > they don't, but later mention a fix on a bug report. So it's up to
> > submitter mostly.
> I see, maybe I should simply ask the submitter next time...

Hello,

I understand that asking for a description is maybe the way forward.
How I see commit message is very well described by a Xorg developer:
http://who-t.blogspot.be/2009/12/on-commit-messages.html

But I see that often when the patch finally gets committed then only the title
stays. The text of the commit message has been removed.
I presume it is because the message often states something obvious for expert
developers with a very good knowledge of the history of the project.
But for a non expert who tries to go through the history of code in order to
understand it, it doesn't help.
So I think that I wouldn't personally dare asking the submitter next time for
a better commit message...

Cheers,
Marc