Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Jun 18 03:08:31 CDT 2015

Folks,

[I wasn't going to say anything in this thread until I felt that I had
something insightful to say, as is my usual way of communicating. But I
realize that my communication style is a part of the problem, and I'm
trying to fix that. So here we go ;-]

There are undeniably a number of things that we as a group, and myself
as the maintainer, could be doing better. A lot of us have been doing
this for a long time, and are taking many things for granted. Because of
that, it has become too easy to dismiss new ideas and different ways of
thinking.

Personally I've also been fairly distracted lately, with my move to
Japan and my work on Android support, and I haven't been able to devote
enough attention to Wine. I'm also hoping to change that.

So now I want to take a step back, and take the time to look at what we
are doing wrong, and listen to new ideas. I'd like to encourage
everyone, but especially people who are disgruntled or have given up
hope that we'd ever change, to send (either in this thread or by private
mail) their suggestions for what we should be doing differently, and how.

I'll then summarize the suggestions so that we can discuss our options.
And by the time we meet at WineConf, we can hopefully agree on what
changes we want to make, and start implementing them. Then we can all
make up over a beer ;-)

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org