Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Josh DuBois duboisj at codeweavers.com
Sat Jun 20 13:11:33 CDT 2015

On 6/20/15 11:41 AM, Jeremy White wrote:
> I guess our challenge is to find a way to make the connection to the
> positive engagement you did eventually receive.
>
> It would be nice if that encouragement could be happening 'here'
> instead of 'over there', but if the isolation is part of what makes it
> work, maybe that's something we should consider.
It seems to me that people with differences benefit from having a some
space between them, but that doesn't mean they have to have entirely
separate communities.  Families who don't all like the same kind of
television can buy two TVs and watch their own shows, but continuing to
share the rest of the house.

I think there could be a branch in winehq git called 'staging,' with
someone other than Alexandre having commit access, and bugs in the
'staging' branch could be considered legitimate in the winehq bug
tracker.  There would need to be new norms for patch submission. There
would need to be a good maintainer for the second branch. Michael said
near the start of the thread that "access on the official winehq
infrastructure" was a problem for some people. Maybe commit access to a
second git branch would be a start.

One could hope that a second branch would give both "sides" enough room
to be happy and productive, but stay together in the same community.
Problems seem to center around tolerance of different goals, approaches,
and skill levels.  Disagreements often happen at the point when patches
are rejected.  With a second branch, more patches could be accepted, but
committed *in the branch where they fit best*, and maybe there would be
less contention.  Ideally there would be shared goals both to allow some
experimentation in the 'staging' branch and eventually to get all
features in a 'polished' state and into 'master.'

Keeping the diversity of goals, approaches, and even skill levels all in
the same community seems worthwhile to me if it is possible. Making
productive use of a second branch over the long term is not a trivial
change.  It just seems like having people with differences stay close
enough together to continue influencing each other is a good thing.