HID work, two sets of patches

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Sun Jun 21 20:20:56 CDT 2015

Hi all,

So I have been working on HID support for the last few months. I have something ready for public review.  It is not quite in shape to submit but since this is such a huge bit of work with so many moving pieces I thought it would be useful to have people able to help me make sure it works right.

Answer to question #1,  This is only implemented for Mac right now. That is because I know the mac HID stuff well and could do it. There will of course be a need for a linux minidriver as well, (like the mac minidriver) but I am not qualified to write that. I would be more than happy to help someone write it.

Answer to question #2, No, this is not hooked up anywhere yet. Ideally it will get hooked up to be the bases for the winejoystick.drv, dinput, xinput and RawInput. I have a very rough implementation for winejoystick.drv but it is so rough that I am not presenting it yet.

Answer to question #3, yes it works. I both have written my own HID client as well as the Microsoft hclient.exe test application and they work using this code as expected.

Answer to question #4, No, this will most likely NOT support windows minidrivers. Mostly because of the lack of any sort of real plug and play support. There are some architecture bits that may be tricky with windows native minidrivers in .sys format. It is not outside the realm of doable eventually but I do not expect it to work right now.

Finally, this is only the start. It is not implementing output or feature reports and there are still a lot of things to improve and implement. But I feel like I need to start getting this out into the public.  Yes I will be submitting these and going through the whole process, but the more eyes and people willing to help me make these correct the better. That is why they are going to wine-devel first.

So all comments welcome, but be kind. this was a lot of work and I am sure I made some stupid mistakes somewhere.

-aric