winemenubuilder - MIME type handling GSoC - bad idea

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 21:06:56 CDT 2015

Hi

I welcome this discussion.

Of course manually deleting files in ~/.local is not user friendly,
and it was never intended to be done that way.

I did not write the part of the Wiki entry suggesting that applet :-).
If you install a Windows app on Windows, and it creates menus and file
associations, you don't get to opt out, and have to use a 3rd party
tool to edit or delete those afterwards. If you install a Linux app on
Linux, and it creates menus and file associations, you also don't get
to opt out, and have to use a 3rd party tool (a Freedesktop
menu/association editing tool) to edit or delete those afterwards. Why
is Wine so special?

What are people actually looking for? For Wine not to create
menu/associations when running on a non-"~/.wine" WINEPREFIX? For a
way to stop the annoying use of Wine's "Internet Explorer" to open
jpeg files? Anything else?

BTW you don't need distro binfmt handlers to double-click .exe (and
.msi and .lnk) files: Wine's tools/wine.desktop handles those. You
only need binfmt handlers to run .exe directly from the command line -
when you aren't in a desktop where you can use "xdg-open
/path/to/file.exe". I suspect the Ubuntu package installs a binfmt
handler because it doesn't know that.

Regards
Damjan