winemenubuilder - MIME type handling GSoC - bad idea

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 16 18:04:58 CDT 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 16:03:21 +0100
Michael Müller <michael at fds-team.de> wrote:

> Maybe Rosanne can share her opinion on this topic, since she has more
> contact with users complaining about this "feature".

I'm not the least bit qualified to say what would or wouldn't be a good GSoC project, but if you're asking whether I think users would benefit from adding elaborate controls to winecfg that duplicate functions already provided by the desktop environment's tools, the answer is no. I agree with Damjan that those settings should be controlled through the host system, not Wine, and users need to learn how to use the configuration tools provided by their DE. I also see a significant downside to trying to control mimetype associations in winecfg: configuring would have to be done individually for each and every wineprefix. That's more work, not less, and speaking as a user with multiple wineprefixes, a headache I'd rather not have.

As for bug 19182, the OR never asked for the complicated controls people have been proposing lately; all he wanted was a user-friendly way to completely disable mimetype associations and menu entries.  A simple checkbox on the desktop integration tab to disable winemenubuilder would accomplish that.