GSoC 2015 proposal

Iván Matellanes matellanesivan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:47:09 CDT 2015

Hi devs!

I'm a last-year Computer Engineering student from the Basque Country (Spain), and I'd like to take part in the upcoming edition of the Google Summer of Code.
I've already explored the wiki and have some ideas to discuss with you.

As some of you might remember, I sent some patches back in October/November about msvcrt file operations. If possible, I'd like to continue developing that API since it's the one I'm most comfortable with. I've thought of the following so far:

1. Implement some stream functions from msvcirt: choose some subset of these functions and implement them.

2. Implement internal exception-related functions from msvcrt (like _crt_debugger_hook, __CxxExceptionFilter, and so on): these are needed by several apps apparently, but mostly undocumented. I wonder if low-level details knowledge is required for this task (x86 assembly maybe?).

3. Implement part of the concurrency runtime: having a brief look at the documentation on MSDN, it seems a huge API and I wouldn't really know where to begin. I've worked with OpenMP before, but this one looks like more complex.

I'm open to suggestions and new ideas, of course.
Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hear your thoughts and comments.
And thanks as well to other students who posted their ideas in this list.

Best,
Iván