winemenubuilder - MIME type handling GSoC - bad idea

Nikolay Sivov nsivov at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 17 08:49:26 CDT 2015

On 17.03.2015 14:04, Ruslan Kabatsayev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll have to check to make sure, but I suspect disabling associations
>> is harder than that, as associations for programs internal to Wine
>> (eg. notepad) get created during the initial wineprefix creation or
>> (at the latest) the first time any application (even winecfg) is run,
>> meaning it would be too late to uncheck a checkbox in winecfg
>> afterwards. Instead, it might be possible to ask the user the same way
>> we ask for Gecko and Mono - that hopefully happens early enough.
> I woudn't like wine to ask me after each `make install` whether I want
> to enable this for each prefix I try to use — in addition to already
> annoying (but simple to avoid) Mono and Gecko dialogs.
Mono/Gecko dialogs should only appear on package change, otherwise
cached package should be used. I don't see how it's annoying considering
that mono/gecko don't update too often. Associations are completely
different business, I can see why user might want to disable them, but
regular user should not disable gecko/mono installation - it's
implementation detail that user is not supposed to care about.
So gecko/mono vs associations are things of different levels completely,
and I don't think that we should a) allow to easy disable those
additional packages
and b) if it's decided to do so, it makes no sense to put this option
any closer to associations.