Adding HID joystick support to FreeBSD

Charles Davis cdavis5x at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:26:35 CDT 2015

> On Mar 22, 2015, at 7:12 AM, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 2015-03-21 um 20:58 schrieb Bruno Jesus:
>> Thank you very much for all information, I'll try and report back
>> if I find any problems. I'm working in winmm because it's an easier
>> starter point.
> Wouldn't it make sense to have a shared joystick library that winmm,
> dinput and (later on xinput) talk to rather than have different OS
> abstraction layers in winmm and dinput?
I agree. In fact, what I think we should do is implement the HID
ioctls in ntdll, and perhaps even hid.dll on top of that. Then all
the input-related stuff would just make HID ioctl calls to ntdll.

But even if we don’t wind up doing that, I definitely think that
having a common library handling input devices is a good idea.

Chip