winecfg: add note about 32 bit prefixes to dialog

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 25 10:55:34 CDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:21:43AM -0500, Andrew Eikum wrote:
> > > So, I thought it might be useful if the dialog could have a note
> > > explaining why those options aren't there if you're running from a
> > > 64 bit prefix -- and thus this patch.  To make room for the text I
> > > made the applications Listbox 20 pixels shorter.
> > - From a user interface point of view, what do you think about adding
> > those old Windows versions in the listbox, maybe with a different text
> > like "Windows 98 not available in 64 bit", and programming the code to
> > set the dropdown field back to the last setting if the user decides to
> > choose one of those settings? Or instead of having the modified text,
> > pop up an error box and set the setting back.
> >

> Something like this seems good. Maybe "Windows 98 (32-bit only)",
> along with an error popup explaining that the current prefix is 64-bit
> and including instructions for how to create a 32-bit prefix.

Some example popup text:

"""
    This Wine prefix is built to support 64-bit applications. Because
    the Windows version you selected does not support 64-bit
    applications, this prefix cannot be configured to mimic that version
    of Windows.

    To create a 32-bit prefix, please delete your existing prefix and
    create a new Wine prefix with WINEARCH=win32. For example:

    rm -rf <automatically insert wineprefix path here>
    WINEARCH=win32 wine winecfg

    Note that this will remove any applications and files in your
    current Wine prefix, and that 64-bit applications will not be
    supported in the new prefix. You may use WINEPREFIX to set an
    alternate prefix path.
"""

Andrew