GSoC 2015 projects

Zhenbo Li litimetal at gmail.com
Mon May 25 02:22:15 CDT 2015

Hello!

I'm glad to working on Wine GSoC this year. My project's focus is
IHMLTXMLHttpRequest. Many websites would use hacks to determine
whether the browser was IE6.0 or IE 7+. As XMLHttpRequest object
identifier was shipped in IE 7.0[0], the web developers would use
ActiveX to access IXMLHttpRequest object. Wine IE implements some new
features, so it is common that Wine IE is treated as a IE 7+
browser(like Firebug Lite[1])

Mozilla has implemented nsIXMLHttpRequest[2], and my approach is to
call the wine-gecko functions from wine code.
I can't tell how many applications' status on appdb will change from
"garbage" to "silver/gold", but IMHO, implementing XMLHttpRequest is
necessary to make wine IE more usable.

Thanks

[0]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequest
[1]: https://getfirebug.com/firebuglite