Fwd: steam web browsing on OS X

Theodore Dubois tblodt at icloud.com
Sun Nov 1 21:34:21 CST 2015

How exactly does Chromium replace the system calls with its own versions? Not quite sure how that works.

~Theodore

On Nov 01, 2015, at 07:18 PM, Sebastian Lackner <sebastian at fds-team.de> wrote:

On 02.11.2015 04:09, Theodore Dubois wrote:
Darn! Forgot to cc the list.

Can someone explain exactly why absolute addresses are needed here? I'm new to
wine, but eager to learn.

The main reasons are:

- The code still has to work after Chromium has moved it to a different memory location.
 A relative jump would not be suitable for that. Also, in our proof of concept patch,
 we want to avoid huge syscall tables, and instead pass a pointer in %eax.
- DRM applications might complain when a function entry point looks too unusual.
- In "non-relaxed" mode Chromium refuses to accept the entry point, if it doesn't match
 exactly the function signature on Windows. I don't think this is used for Steam yet,
 but its just a matter of time.

Regards,
Sebastian