Start of code freeze

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Nov 13 09:35:50 CST 2015

Folks,

Now that release 1.7.55 is out, it's time to start code freeze towards
the stable 1.8 release. This means that from now on, new features or
code redesigns won't be accepted; only targeted bug fixes that don't
look too dangerous will be allowed in. The freeze will get increasingly
more strict as we progress towards release.

I know that git makes it easy for everybody to keep working on new
things on their own branch, but I'd ask that we all take time to
concentrate on fixing bugs, and particularly regressions. I'm hoping
that we can make the number of regressions drop significantly, like we
did for the previous stable releases.

I will be making release candidates every Friday until we run out of
bugs that can be reasonably fixed. Based on previous experience, the
code freeze should last between 4 and 8 weeks.

This is also an opportunity to polish things like translations,
documentation, web site etc. so there is plenty to do even for
non-developers. And most importantly, we need help with retesting as
many applications as possible...

Thank you all for your help!

--
Alexandre Julliard