gdi32: Improve detection of symbol charset for old truetype fonts.

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at
Wed Nov 18 10:52:38 CST 2015

On 18.11.2015 19:07, Sebastian Lackner wrote:
> On 18.11.2015 11:31, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
>> And that's true for any other patch regardless of the area and amount of
>> code. Basically any patch can have side effects, but if even in the first
>> week of code-freeze any patch is considered as risky, then I don't know
>> how you are going to fix the regressions or any bugs during that time.
> I do not want to heat up the discussion, but this is indeed a valid concern, and
> its also a bit unclear to me what exactly is allowed during the code freeze. In
> theory, almost every commit could cause regressions. When adding new stubs
> applications might use a different code paths. When fixing one issue, it might
> reveal a different one somewhere else.

Of course any commit could cause a problem sooner or later, the question 
is which parts are affected. In case of gdi32 virtually every 
application is.

> And especially regarding the remaining regressions: those which already exist
> for a long time often aren't that easy to fix and also might require reworking a
> lot of the existing code. This means the risk of adding new regressions is quite
> high, when they are applied without any testing.

Such regressions should be fixed long before release, not in last couple 
of weeks.

> Imho, the only guarantee to ensure a really stable version, would be to develop
> on both "stable" and "development" in parallel, and frequently backport patches
> which have been tested well enough - basically similar to our Staging tree.
> Unfortunately this doesn't force anyone to work on regressions ... ;)

That was discussed, you were there. Stable as we know it stays, with 
frequent backports that are critical, also translation updates, maybe 
something else.

> So, what kind of patches are acceptable during the freeze period?

The ones that definitely work? Come with test? Don't depend on user 
system state that is hard to replicate, like any possible set of 
installed fonts.

I don't really understand a drama about holding a patch for another 
month, and sending it again after release.

More information about the wine-devel mailing list