Wine devel packages ready for testing

Michael Müller michael at fds-team.de
Thu Nov 26 19:37:04 CST 2015

Hi,

at WineConf we discussed about providing binary packages and the idea was that
Sebastian and I take care of this, since we already build packages for Wine
Staging. We now altered our build system to work in a more general way and you
can now try out the first packages. We already tested them shortly, but since
we do not use all those distros on a daily basis, we might still have missed
something.

Before I tell you the distribution specific installation instructions, first a
more general overview about how the packages work. There are already a lot of
different Wine packages out there, so our goal was to choose names which are
not yet used on any system. To keep the risk of name collisions as small as
possible, we decided for the following approach:

winehq-devel
winehq-staging

These are the names of the packages which are most suitable for average users.
The package will provide programs in /usr/bin (or some other distro-specific
default installation path) and provide all the usual wine-specifc commands,
like "wine", "winegcc", "wineserver", ... and so on. It will also contain the
manpages, and desktop files.

In the background, those packages do not really contain the binaries but
instead pull in additional dependencies, on Debian/Ubuntu the "wine-devel"
package and on Fedora/Mageia the "wine-development" package. Those packages
install wine in /opt/wine-devel. On the one hand this makes clear, that its
not a distribution provided package, as all files reside in /opt, on the other
hand it gives much more flexibility. A user can now decide whether to install
the winehq-devel package, which symlinks all files to their usual locations in
/usr/{bin, share} etc. or whether he wants to install multiple wine versions
at the same time by using the underlying wine-devel/wine-development package.
Besides the possibility of having multiple wine versions installed at the same
time, this way we could even ship additional dynamically linked libraries
without messing around with the rest of the system, for example if
distribution packages are incompatible with wine.

Below are the instructions how to install those packages on various
distributions. Executing wine --version (or /opt/wine-devel/bin/wine --version)
should afterwards show 1.8rc-1. If you find any bugs, please report
them so that we can fix them. You can also take a look at the packaging files
at https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-packaging (or send a pull request if
you want to contribute with your improvements). In case everything is working
fine, we should add those packages on the download page, so that more users
can try out the release candidates for 1.8.

So, as a short summary, about what is already working, and what still needs to
be done:
- We'll now be able to provide 8 Ubuntu, 8 Debian, 4 Mageia and 2
  Fedora packages per release (which means about 44 build tasks per week).
- Fedora 23 packages are still missing, but will be added soon.
- Crosscompiled Mac OS X packages will also be added soon.
- Additional distributions can be added on request - but please try to contact
  your distribution first!

---- Ubuntu ----

# Add repository
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds

# Update packages
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel

# Advanced users can instead install the wine-devel package
# directly, in parallel to their regular Wine versions.

---- Debian ----

# Enable 32 bit packages
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

# Install key which was used to sign packages
wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key

# Add repository to /etc/apt/sources.list or create a *.list
# under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ with the following content:
deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ DISTRO main
# with DISTRO being either wheezy, jessie, stretch or sid

# Update packages
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install winehq-devel

# Advanced users can instead install the wine-devel package
# directly, in parallel to their regular Wine versions.

---- Fedora ----

# Currently only Fedora 22 is supported, 23 will be added soon

# Add repository
dnf config-manager --add-repo https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/22/winehq.repo

dnf apt-get install winehq-devel

# Advanced users can instead install the wine-development package
# directly, in parallel to their regular Wine versions.

---- Mageia ----

# Install key which was used to sign packages
wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo rpm --import Release.key

# If you are using Mageia 4
sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 32-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/4/i586/

# If you are using 64-bit Mageia 4, also add
sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 64-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/4/x86_64/

# If you are using Mageia 5
sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 32-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/5/i586/

# If you are using 64-bit Mageia 5, also add
sudo urpmi.addmedia "WineHQ 64-bit" https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/mageia/4/x86_64/

sudo urpmi.update -a
sudo urpmi winehq-devel