Wine devel packages ready for testing

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 20:21:13 CST 2015

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Michael Müller <michael at fds-team.de> wrote:
> We added Fedora 23 yesterday and uploaded all builds for 1.8-rc2. The
> instructions for Fedora 23 are basically the same as for Fedora 22, just
> replace the version number in the url:
>
> dnf config-manager --add-repo
> https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/23/winehq.repo
> dnf apt-get install winehq-devel
>

> Am 27.11.2015 um 20:19 schrieb Aaryaman Vasishta:
>> How long until the cross compiled OSX packages arrive? Could you put up
>> the scripts on GitHub or does it have to be fully working before you do so?
>
> All scripts can be found in the following two repositories:
> https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-packaging
> https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-build-tools
>
> We are planning to wait until the Mac OS X builds for wine-devel work,
> before we add the scripts. Our current solution is to cross compile Wine
> on Debian as host distribution and this requires a lot of additional
> tools plus dependencies. Currently most of the tools and dependencies we
> use for Wine Staging are precompiled binaries that were manually
> compiled some time ago. This is not really a good solution as it
> somewhat obfuscates the build process. We would like to find a better
> solution for this. When we are done, we will add everything necessary
> (excluding the OS X 10.8 SDK), but it might be a bit difficult to setup,
> especially if you don't want to use a VM for building.

I'm not sure where you plan on installing wine on OS X, but be aware
that 10.11/El Capitan forbids installing into /usr (except
/usr/local):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899

I ran into that recently in my day job..You may also want to consider
getting an Apple Developer Key so that packages can be signed and
users can avoid scary warnings, but I don't know if that would work in
your cross-compile setup.

> Am 29.11.2015 um 16:05 schrieb Rosanne DiMesio:
>> Any chance of adding RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux packages that will
> actually work (WoW64)? Red Hat has already refused.
>
> We might want to consider this at a later point, but from my experience
> with CentOS 6 and Wine Staging, you don't gain much by supporting
> CentOS. The main repositories didn't provide all dependencies for Wine
> (for example OpenAL) and the packages were often outdated and caused
> crashes which were not reproducible on other distros. Many of these
> problems were most probably solved in CentOS 7, but I think we should
> prioritize our efforts. More people can benefit from OS X builds than
> CentOS at the moment, so I think we should fix them first.

Absolutely, having Mac OS X packages of vanilla Wine would be a huge
help. Thanks for your work on this.

--
-Austin