README: add a note about 64-bit Wine needing 32-bit Wine to work

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Sun Nov 29 22:52:00 CST 2015

On 30.11.2015 05:37, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +  http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64 for details. Note that a 64-bit Wine
>> +  build will not work without also building 32-bit Wine.
>
> This statement is not true in general.
>
> Actually 64-bit Wine build works just fine without any 32-bit part. That's
> just a useless configuration, but it's a minor detail.

It depends on your definion of "works just fine". Various parts of wine contain
hardcoded paths to 32-bit executables, which can't work in a pure 64-bit build.

programs/winemenubuilder/winemenubuilder.c:
  fprintf(file, "Exec=env WINEPREFIX=\"%s\" wine %s %s\n",

tools/wineapploader.in
  exec wine "$appname" "$@"

Not sure if there is a way to express it a bit better, but I think in general it
probably wouldn't hurt to have this documented somewhere in the source tree.