Learning to Develop for the Wine Project

David Reinert dr247086 at muhlenberg.edu
Mon Nov 30 13:01:08 CST 2015

Hello Friends,

I am a current undergraduate senior Computer Science major looking to become familiar with and contribute to Wine. I just want to make sure I am doing all the best things I can do to familiarize myself with the project. I have over 3 years of experience coding in C/C++ and I have taken a course in Operating systems, but my familiarity with any MS-DOS/Windows based OS(DLLs, etc.) is next to none and I understand that the learning curve for Wine development is very steep. I've started by reading through the Wine Developer's Guide Wine Architecture section to try and gain an understanding of how the whole process operates. is this useful? Is there anything else that anyone would recommend I do to gain to good understanding of the project or should I just start writing patches and dive in head first? Any and all suggestions are welcome and Iwould appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
David Reinert