assert, NDEBUG and you

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:51:49 CDT 2015

On 10/26/2015 09:31 AM, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> I guess you'll have to show that the assert() has a real impact in an
> application. Else it doesn't matters.

I think the question should be the other way around, asking first "is
this check/assert needed?" rather than later "should we get rid of this
check/assert?". If a check is only needed at certain times (i.e. when
developing around the code), then you can get rid of it when it's not
those times. One assert() may be imperceptible, but hundreds or
thousands sprinkled around the code base can cause execution to be slow
in general with no specific choke point.