Who decides what are good translations war: Update German translation.

Thomas Kaltenbrunner tkaltenbrunner at opc.de
Wed Sep 2 08:47:02 CDT 2015

BTW. Who decides what are good translations?

"Anwendungsentferner" reminds me at Germans "Trolls" that refuse to use
well known english terms which are solely used in the area of computer
and software. So they are a  technical/special terms in German.

The term  "Anwendungsentferner" you will find  in wine only ...

Eine Anwendung entfernt man mit Hilfe des Uninstallers oder der
Deinstallationssoftware/dem Deinstallationsprogramm.

Viele Grüße
Thomas Kaltenbrunner

Am 31.08.2015 um 15:04 schrieb Julian Rüger:
> You're welcome to whip up a patch that fixes these cases. ;)
>
> It's never wrong to be thorough and precise, but the most important
> thing is consistency, imho.
>
> (Feel free to ask me off-list if you run into trouble.)
>
> Best,
> Julian
>
> Am Montag, den 31.08.2015, 13:29 +0200 schrieb Florian Pelz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 08/31/2015 12:05 PM, Julian Rüger wrote:
>>> Hi Florian,
>>>
>>> I omitted the hyphen on purpose (for consistency).
>>> There are a few other instances of "Wine foo" without hyphen, and even:
>>>
>>> #: uninstaller.rc:29
>>> msgid "Wine Application Uninstaller"
>>> msgstr "Wine Anwendungsentferner"
>>>
>>> I think this is a kind of 50-50 case, where it's okay either way.
>>>
>> According to [1], omitting the hyphen is incorrect as per the official
>> spelling. That said, this part of the official orthography has never
>> quite caught on. I don't know if Wine cares about following official
>> orthography.
>>
>> (Sorry that nit-picking is my only contribution to Wine so far. I hope
>> I'll have time to do more in the future. So far I'm mostly lurking.)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Florian
>>
>> [1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leerzeichen_in_Komposita

OPC® cardsystems GmbH - Trier
--
+49 651 8408 0 +49 151 52628082 Skype: tj-opc

GF: Torsten Hülsmann, Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Klaus Dieter Schömer
AG Wittlich HRB-Nr.: 3903

Save bytes and energy!
- Please don't append useless lengthy texts or graphics.