Who decides what are good translations war: Update German translation.

Florian Pelz pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Wed Sep 2 10:48:16 CDT 2015

Hi,

On 09/02/2015 03:47 PM, Thomas Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> BTW. Who decides what are good translations?
>
> "Anwendungsentferner" reminds me at Germans "Trolls" that refuse to use
> well known english terms which are solely used in the area of computer
> and software. So they are a  technical/special terms in German.
>
> The term  "Anwendungsentferner" you will find  in wine only ...
>
> Eine Anwendung entfernt man mit Hilfe des Uninstallers oder der
> Deinstallationssoftware/dem Deinstallationsprogramm.

People familiar with computers may consider the English "Uninstaller"
more natural. A proper German translation may be better for those not so
familiar. I don't think all this matters very much though. IMO it should
just be left as it is. The ubuntuusers.de wiki already started using the
translated name to refer to the uninstaller.

More generally, I suppose Wine sticks with the first translation offered
unless there are issues.

Regards,
Florian