Idea of fixing SHFileOperation(FO_MOVE)

Bruno Jesus 00cpxxx at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:04:20 CDT 2015

On Thursday, September 3, 2015, Zhenbo Li <litimetal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As I'm working on bug 25207, I found that previous test code
> (test_move() in shlfileop.c) had some disadvantages
>
> 1. Duplicate tests
> 2. Legacy test code (for Win98 or NT4)
> 3. Lack of test for Vista or later Windows Versions
>
> As more applications are depending on the new behaviours introduced in
> Vista, IMHO, we should focus on Vista's new behaviour. So I rewrote
> test_move() to remove code for win98, mark xp behaviour as broken, and
> expect Vista's behaviour. My next step is to re-implement FO_MOVE
> operation of SHFileOperation to fix bug 25207.
>
> Any suggestion for this?

Hi, I dislike the idea of removing tests because they are obsolete but that
is just my opinion. At least I like to keep winsock running in NT4.

What I have done in patches that reached similar issues is to detect the OS
using a specific test that you are sure differs between OS and then use
if/else to separate the tests. This reduces the amount of broken required,
broken can be a vilain sometimes because it does not specify which OS is
failing.

Best wishes,
Bruno