Prep for Wineconf - testing

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Sep 3 09:35:04 CDT 2015

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015, Huw Davies wrote:
[...]
> Early indications are that this does indeed help
> See:
> http://test.winehq.org/data/tests/msi:action.html
> (ignore the XP failures, they're not testbot's)
[...]
> and:
> http://test.winehq.org/data/tests/gdi32:font.html
[...]
> I don't think it's entirely surprising given the long revert
> times we're seeing.

On the contrary I find that surprising.

My understanding is that the MSI tests are I/O bound. But given the long
revert times, reverts are not doing much I/O at all so they should not
interfere that much with the tests.

However based on some times I looked at this recently the QEmu process
spins its heels, seemingly doign nothing. That means it keeps a core
fully occupied. But given that the VM hosts have at least 4 cores each
that should still not slow down the MSI tests much given that they only
have access to two cores anyway.

> It seems to me that adding more hardware (to have fewer VMs per host)
> is the pragmatic way forward.

It would also help to have more people contributing to the TestBot.

    I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape around here somewhere...