Prep for Wineconf - testing

Bruno Jesus 00cpxxx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 11:16:24 CDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>> Attaching a 15 USD smart card reader to any of them and making it work
>> in Windows would make winscard support get alive in Wine. Inserting
>> any old credit card with chip (very common at least in Brazil) or any
>> other 1 USD contact card would make all kinds of tests work. A sample
>> reader that also should be supported by pcsclite is at [1]
>>
>> [1] http://www.amazon.com/HID-Global-Corporation-R30210015-1-OMNIKEY/dp/B003BKV44C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Q3S0X9WQJ8A8XSN7GC7
>
> Just to clarify - it wouldn't be attaching just one reader, right?  If
> we have 4 test systems, then ideally, we'd attach 4 of these readers, so
> that all the machines would test identically, right?

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about an overly simple solution
where we could have a single reader connected to a physical machine
and somehow exposed to a single virtual machine which would run XP or
Windows 7. My virtualization knowledge is limited to vmware player so
all I know is to right click and attach the usb reader, sorry =)

The differences between XP and after XP for the main winscard
functions are minimal so I don't think we need more than one reader to
do it but certainly it wouldn't hurt.

As for the reader brand/model the only important thing is to ensure
the reader is PC/SC compatible, because some may be proprietary driver
driven or simplified card ID to HID converters.

Best wishes,
Bruno