po: German translation: …

Julian Rüger jr98 at gmx.net
Fri Sep 4 18:19:45 CDT 2015

> Of course. Should have noticed this. Actually, "Unsignierte CMC-Anfrage"
> (instead of "Antwort") would probably be the right translation.
Wow, I didn't even see that.

> I think "PKCS 7 Signed" means "signed using the public key cryptography
> standard 7", so "PKCS-7-signiert" would be a good translation. These are
> not file types but "display names" of "object identifiers". Apparently
> they are used to provide information about parts of cryptographic
> certificates.
I answered your mail based on my gut-feeling, while you did the
research. Thanks for clarifying.

> > "Windows-Systemkomponentenverifizierung" would be grammatically correct,
> > I think. It's a freaking long word though...
>
> Yes, this looks better.

Maybe "Windows-Systemkomponenten-Verifizierung" is the best compromise?

> I think "intermediate" really means "dazwischenliegend" (i.e. "in
> between") here. I don't know about IPsec terminology, but the term
> "intermediate" is frequently used for certificates that are not trusted
> by themselves but signed by a trusted authority. It might be better to
> use the English word though. I cannot find anyone using the German
> "dazwischenliegend" on the Web.

Oh, right. In that case, "Intermediär" would be best, wouldn't it?

> > #: winerror.mc:3536
> >  msgid "Security package error.\n"
> > -msgstr "Sicherheitspaket Fehler.\n"
> > +msgstr "Sicherheitspaket-Fehler.\n"
> >
> > "Sicherheitspakets-Fehler"? "Fehler im Sicherheitspaket"?
> >

> This does not need an s just like "Paketzusteller" does not need an s.
I still like my second suggestion best. ;) Totally gut-feeling again, though.

> I don't think Wine Internet Explorer is supposed to be a proper name.
> Internet Explorer is a proper name. This is the Wine-'Internet Explorer'
That was what I meant.
> and because of Durchkopplung this becomes Wine-Internet-Explorer.

Never heard of it, had to look it up. You seem to really know your
stuff. It is still ambiguous, according to the paragraph on Wikipedia
(Eigennamen), but you convinced me. My comment wasn't meant as a request
to change it in the first place, just curiosity. :)

> >  #: ipconfig.rc:49
> >  msgid "Default gateway"
> > -msgstr "Standard Gateway"
> > +msgstr "Standard-Gateway"
> >
> > "Standardgateway"?
>
> Maybe. Separating the English part of the word does not look bad though.
> I don't think this needs changing.

"Standardgateway" is an established term, afaik. (See i.e.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_%28Informatik%29 )

> > #: net.rc:37
> >  msgid "The %1 service is starting.\n"
> > -msgstr "Der %1 Dienst startet.\n"
> > +msgstr "Der Dienst %1 startet.\n"
> >
> > Why go half-way? ;)
> > "Der Dienst '%1' startet.\n"
> >

> Maybe. It's longer though and less close to English. Then again, the
> English does not look good either:
>
> Z:\home\florian>net start PlugPlay
> The Plug and Play Service service is starting.
> Service already running.

Tricky one. "Der Dienst 'Plug and Play Service' startet." is perfectly
fine, imho, but in English it's really bad.

> Microsoft does not have this problem because their PlugPlay is called
> "Plug and Play" instead of "Plug and Play Service".

Way better. Anything preventing us from changing it?

> It didn't change. The 2006 rules say in 2.5 § 65 that "Das
> Anredepronomen Sie und das entsprechende Possessivpronomen Ihr sowie die
> zugehörigen flektierten Formen schreibt man groß." Yes, I looked it up
> ;) . IMO good writing style is more important anyway though.

My mistake. (There is a 2006 "neue Rechtschreibung"? Wow, I meant the
1996 one... Not that new anymore, is it?)

> > #: wineconsole.rc:44
> >  msgid "wineconsole: Couldn't parse event id\n"
> > -msgstr "wineconsole: Ereignis-ID konnte nicht geparsed werden\n"
> > +msgstr "wineconsole: Ereignis-ID konnte nicht geparset werden\n"
> >
> > I'm never sure what to do in these cases. Correct German grammar would
> > be "geparst", but that looks just awful... My personal preference is
> > the pretty, but grammatically wrong English ending.
> > I guess my OCD has to live with the pain ;) Let's use the correct
> > case.
> > Agreed?

How do you like Jens' (second) suggestion? Up to you.

> "Der Dienst %1 startet.\n" should be given these
> apostrophe quotes in English first I think. The status bar messages
> "Anwendung beenden. Fragt ob Änderungen zu speichern sind" all need a
> period at the end in English and German. The missing comma after "Fragt"
> should be fixed everywhere this type of error occurs. I'll try fixing up
> some patches.

Great!

You really took "being thorough" seriously! ;)
Thanks for your efforts!

Best,
Julian