Who decides what are good translations war: Update German translation.

Alex Henrie alexhenrie24 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 01:10:18 CDT 2015

> BTW. Who decides what are good translations?

My German is terrible, so I will not attempt to comment on specific
German translations. However, I'd like to point out that I used
Windows as a reference to translate Wine into Catalan. I did not copy
translations word-for-word, but I noticed that Windows consistently
used some very specific terminology that is less common in Linux. The
list I came up with was:

byte -> byte
default -> per defecte
font size -> cos de lletra
front (of window stack) -> primer terme
graph -> gràfic
handle -> identificador
item -> element
move -> desplaçar
pool -> agrupació
prompt -> indicador
set -> definir
settings -> opcions, configuració
suppress -> reprimir
use -> utilitzar

Windows also had some grossly horrible translations, like "tancar" for
"shut down". I ignored those. My point though is that if you are
having a hard time deciding which German word is appropriate for Wine,
I would give a lot of consideration to which German word Windows uses.

-Alex