Changes for Wine on Debian

Kyle Auble kyle.auble at zoho.com
Wed Sep 9 18:48:49 CDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update you all on the state of the Wine packages for
Debian; back in July, the difference between the "wine-development" and
"wine" packages came up, not to mention which version WineHQ's download
page should actually point to. Although it's fresher than the stable
release of Wine, the default version of the wine-development package in
Jessie is outdated by almost a year now.

Over the past couple of months though, Jens Reyer worked with the Debian
wine packaging team on backporting an up-to-date version of
wine-development for Jessie. That Jessie-Backports package became
available right around the beginning of September so now there's a
curated way for users on Debian Stable to track the upstream development
releases. IIUC, the Backports version tracks the package in Testing so
it will still fall behind some while Testing is in a code-freeze, but
it's a good compromise with Debian's goals, plus the policy for
Backports is that they should only track Unstable for critical reasons.

When closing out my bug report, Jens mentioned that upgrading the
wine-development packages directly from the Jessie version to
Jessie-Backports still may take some manual tweaking, though he's
working on resolving that. He also recommended that instead of having
the WineHQ download page link to...
https://packages.debian.org/stable/wine-development
we aim the link at the list of all living versions of the
wine-development package:
https://packages.debian.org/wine-development
He also suggested that if it doesn't cause problems, we keep a link to
the stable release package, just in case someone prefers it (or they're
still stuck on oldstable):
https://packages.debian.org/wine
I can probably squeeze in some time in the next few days to submit those
changes myself.

- Kyle