RFC: Hybrid (wineserver / process-local) native semaphores

Daniel Santos daniel.santos at pobox.com
Wed Sep 16 02:19:12 CDT 2015

On 09/10/2015 04:21 AM, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few games that appear to be slowed down by heavy wineserver use with my CSMT patchset. I'll give your patches a try to see how they work.
>
> The games I suspect being affected by wineserver calls are various Call of Duty versions, Guild Wars 2 and World in Conflict.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

by the way, I wanted to do a little profiling and I ran the demo CoD4
against the head (from Sept 10th) with the csmt patches. It crashed a
few times, but sometimes it didn't. I put my server call logging /
debug-toggle patch in and this is a sample from starting the game until
the level is finished loading (minus things called less often)

3171    enum_key
5512    send_hardware_message
5682    get_window_children_from_point
5709    accept_hardware_message
8657    read_process_memory
8712    open_key
9441    close_handle
10296   get_key_value
86708   get_thread_input
202405  get_message
245653  set_cursor
553083  event_op
640397  release_mutex
1468300 select

And this is a sample of several minutes of game play (I died a lot)

2457    get_window_property
7551    get_key_state
11958   get_window_children_from_point
17232   accept_hardware_message
19087   send_hardware_message
19780   get_thread_input
32922   set_cursor
41224   get_message
638672  event_op
2282578 release_mutex
3246029 select

There was still a lot of graphic artifacts in game play (I have an
nvidia card, so I always suspect their drivers).

Daniel