[3/3] Add period to status bar, dialog box messages (try 2)

Florian Pelz pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Wed Sep 16 03:02:47 CDT 2015

On 09/16/2015 09:22 AM, Florian Pelz wrote:
> On 09/16/2015 08:59 AM, Nikolay Sivov wrote:
>> On 15.09.2015 11:28, Florian Pelz wrote:
>>>   STRINGTABLE
>>>   {
>>> -    IDS_STATUS_DONE            "Done"
>>> +    IDS_STATUS_DONE            "Done."
>>>       IDS_STATUS_DOWNLOADINGFROM "Downloading from %s..."
>>>   }
>>
>> I don't think it's better really to have punctuation in status bars.
>> Probably messages can live without it, unless they consist of multiple
>> sentences, then last one needs termination too.
>
> I think it's better style to have a period at the end, and Windows does
> it. Wine has one such status bar message with two sentences, only the
> first with a period (oleview.rc:110, "Quit the application. Prompts to
> save changes"). It would look inconsistent if that were the only message
> to have a period at the end. But of course, messages can live without it.

To follow up on this, why should the patch be rejected?

Possible reasons:

- You believe that the changes to the translations should not be done by
someone who does not know the language. Because changes to the
translations are required to not break the translations (especially
those that are unmaintained), it may be preferrable not to change the
punctuation. I don't think so however because these cases become clear
from other translations. I know enough about Japanese and Chinese to use
"circle periods" there. I don't know any Thai, but apparently they don't
use periods. I can leave Thai unchanged and fuzzy if you want. Other
languages without "Western" punctuation (like Hindi) don't have
translations for the affected strings anyway.

- The patch is too much to review. It really is quite big, but there is
not a lot of potential for errors, especially not for grave errors.