Changes for Wine on Debian

Michael Gilbert mgilbert at debian.org
Sat Sep 19 13:48:08 CDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Kyle Auble wrote:
> Particularly, I wonder...
> 1. Will many questions from Debian Stable users about "wine-development"
> being outdated pop up on the Wine forums or IRC?

I doubt this as a practical problem.  You can always tell them to
reproduce it with a newer version, pointing them to the wiki page
about Debian's backport packages.

> 2. Will the install ratio for Backports vs. Stable "wine-development" grow
> significantly as Jessie ages (if popcon can distinguish between the two)?

I don't think the popcon interface can query for backports vs. stable numbers.

> 3. Ditto for "wine" vs. "wine-development".

The data [0] shows users favoring the stable release by a factor of
20:1; granted this is only year one with a development package being
available that is only 4 months in Debian stable, and more than 10
years with the stable package.

That data also shows interest in the stable version stagnating, and
interest in the development version growing.

Anyway, somewhat unexpectedly different user have different needs.
Some favor stability, and others favor bleeding edge.  That is why
there are longterm, stable, mainline, next, and various other linux
kernel versions available to pick from.  Why not support them all at
least in some way?  Upstream really needs to take the lead on making
those decisions, otherwise distributions have no idea which to pick
from, and end up with an arbitrary snapshot.

Best wishes,
Mike

[0]https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=wine%2Cwine-development&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1