Wine Stable/Release Changes

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Sep 25 05:45:55 CDT 2015

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> at WineConf we had a fairly uncontroversial discussion about the Wine
> Stable release process. As the current process of feature based Wine
> releases isn't working(*) following changes were agreed upon.

I tried to make it a bit more controversial by suggesting that some Wine
Staging patches should maybe go into the Wine Stable release. But that
did not get very far.

The rationale is that Wine Stable is targeted at end users, not
developers. End users don't care that a patch is ugly and should not go
into mainline Wine for various reasons. All they care about is that
their applications work. So it could make sense to include carefully
selected Wine Staging patches that have been around for some time and
have not caused regressions.

The main drawback is that it would make comparing Wine Stable with plain
Wine a bit harder: normally we would ask Wine Stable users to test their
broken application in plain Wine to see if it's fixed. But now the
application may not even start due to the lack of one of these extra
patches (rather than a simple regression).

So I don't think there's one right answer on this matter. It's more
about where to put the cursor between user-friendliness and development
speed / ease; and figuring out what will work best in the end for Wine.

               A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure
                    until he begins to blame somebody else.
                               -- John Burroughs