user32: Use top level window as dialog parent for modal dialogs.

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Tue Apr 5 10:25:42 CDT 2016

On 05.04.2016 16:28, Jacek Caban wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> I will ask you one more time to go back to the code and being technical
> instead of personal. Take a look at the code and show me a code path,
> that makes enabling or disabling any different than before the patch. If
> you can't then you will understand that the change is unrelated. If you
> do, I'm happy to write a test for that case.
>
> Jacek

To both of you, please calm down a bit. Whereas there is nothing obviously wrong
with the patch, I can also understand Dmitrys request to merge more tests first,
before we come to the conclusion that this solution must be right. In fact, when
taking into account the feedback I received quite often to my own patches, the
second approach (first ensure tests cover all areas, then changing the
implementation) is indeed preferred for Wine, so I'm not really sure what the
problem is here. How should Dmitry add his own tests when you want to send all
in a single patch? Since Dmitry already did the effort to track down your
regression, wouldn't it be useful to trust him a bit more and to cooperate?

Imho, what we especially need to ensure is that wineserver handling for various
flag combinations is really correct, before we modify the owner on user32 side.
Based on some tests I did a while ago (when handing for WS_POPUP | WS_CHILD was
added), there are definitely remaining todos. Also please note that neither your
old nor your new code correctly replicates wineserver behaviour because
WIN_CreateWindowEx contains a check: if ((cs->style & (WS_CHILD|WS_POPUP)) != WS_CHILD)
Under specific circumstances the owner argument is simply ignored.

Regards,
Sebastian