Winegstreamer entry on Wine FAQ Wiki Page

NP-Hardass NP-Hardass at gentoo.org
Thu Apr 7 11:28:36 CDT 2016

On 04/07/2016 07:14 AM, Rosanne DiMesio wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 02:54:28 -0400 NP-Hardass
> <NP-Hardass at gentoo.org> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> About a month ago, I created a Wine Wiki account and requested
>> that it be activated, explicitly so that I could add an entry to
>> the FAQ page [1].  After going to reference this new entry to
>> someone today, I noticed that my changes were reverted soon after
>> my submission and the page was subsequently locked [2].  This
>> submission was made after consulting wine developer, Sebastian
>> Lackner.
>>
>> I think this information would be very useful to users starting
>> to adopt Winegstreamer, now that Andrew Eikum has updated it to
>> gstreamer 1.0 and it is functioning again.  I'd like to inquire
>> why the change was reverted, if my content is deemed unnecessary,
>> and if not, why it was not moved elsewhere.
>>
>> - -- NP-Hardass Gentoo Wine maintainer
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.winehq.org/index.php?title=FAQ [2]
>> https://wiki.winehq.org/index.php?title=FAQ&action=history
>
> I reverted the item because:
>
> 1. It is not a frequently asked question. As written, it is not
> even a question.
The Wine Wiki has 1 place for troubleshooting information, that's that
FAQ.   The entire "Troubleshooting" section of that page is littered
with troubleshooting information that is devoid of questions.  It's
the only source of troubleshooting information that you have.
> 2. The "answer" to this non-question served no purpose other than
> to advertise a third party project, giving the impression that it
> was officially recommended and supported here.
>
> The "information" in that item is not needed. If users are missing
> a gstreamer plugin needed by one of their apps, they will find it
> out as soon as they try to run the app. The console output will
> have a message from gstreamer complaining about the codec that was
> not found, and one from Wine suggesting a missing plugin. Users
> might need help figuring out exactly which package to install, but
> the "tool for developers to build and test DirectShow Graphs"
> project you were trying to drive traffic to won't help with that.
I'm a downstream maintainer, and in bumping Wine, I had to verify that
the Gstreamer functionality was working.  In my experience trying to
get and verify that Winegstreamer is working, even with
WINEDEBUG=+gstreamer, Wine will often output ABSOLUTELY nothing
related to Gstreamer, even when it is running Gstreamer.  Moreover,
when Wine encounters a lack of Gstreamer plugin, it straight up
crashes Wine (sometimes just a straight up core dump, I encountered no
recommendation of plugins, just straight, meaningless coredump),
meaning people aren't going to say, "I wonder why I seem to be missing
this Gstreamer plugin..."  They are going to be saying, "Time to file
a bug report on WineHQ, wine-x.x.x crashes when trying to run app xyz."

Let's be clear here, Winegstreamer uses Gstreamer to create DirectShow
filter graphs, so investigating filter graphs is the most
straightforward means of identifying if support is working correctly.
To that end, one can either use the Microsot provided "graphedit.exe"
which requires installing the Microsoft SDK (which isn't even
supported, and is extremely heavyweight), or one can install one of
the third party DirectShow filter graph viewing/editing programs.
That leaves you with several options, one of the the proprietary,
nonfree applications, or one of several open source or free
applications.  In this case, the recommendation was to use an open
source project.  I am not associated with it at all, it just fits the
bill.   Directly accusing me of trying to advertise for a piece of
software is, quite frankly, rude, and serves no purpose here.

> The wiki is not a venue for free advertising.

I repeat the above.

- --
NP-Hardass