Wine inside Xephyr on OSX

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Sat Apr 23 06:17:29 CDT 2016

On Apr 23, 2016, at 4:59 AM, Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 April 2016 at 11:51, Bruno Jesus <00cpxxx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> err:x11drv:process_attach failed to load libX11.6.dylib:
>> dlopen(libX11.6.dylib, 266): image not found
>> err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a
>> window, but no driver could be loaded.
>> err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is
>> running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
>>
>> This is without setting DISPLAY. Clearly it is a missing dependency
>> that I have to install, but the main issue was this x11/winemac
>> difference, thanks.
> It could also be a library path issue. The easiest way to work around
> it might be DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, although I'm sure there should
> be actual OS X users on this list with more experience there.

Yes, but it's potentially complicated.

First, are you using XQuartz or another build of X.org (for example, from MacPorts)?  You'd presumably want to point the library path to the libraries of the one you're using.

I generally use XQuartz, so I do:

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib:/usr/lib

The next question is whether you're running OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).  If so, its System Integrity Protection feature will make a nuisance of itself.  For security, it strips all DYLD_* variables from the environment when you run a "protected" executable.  All system executables are protected, including the shell interpreters.  If you are invoking a shell script such as the "wine" script for running Wine from the build tree, then that variable will be stripped.  For that particular case, you can put the export command into a .winewrapper file to have it sourced by the shell, which will work.  For other cases, you may need to edit your script.

-Ken