Windows 2000 VM timing out

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Apr 25 07:57:45 CDT 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, Hugh McMaster wrote:

> The Windows 2000 VM is timing out with the following dialog message:
>
> kernel32_test.exe - Entry Point Not Found
> The procedure entry point InitializeSListHead could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll.
>
> For a screenshot, see https://testbot.winehq.org/JobDetails.pl?Key=22547&log_201=1&scrshot_201=1#k201
>
> I'm not sure what the cause is. I sent a patch modifying a comment by one character and the same error occurs.

It's exactly as the message says: kernel32_test.exe imports
InitializeSListHead(). That's not an issue on Windows XP and greater
because they have a kernel32.dll that exports that function. But Windows
2000 does not have this function and so Windows fails to resolve the
executable's imports (which happens before starting the executable), and
pops up a dialog to inform the user. Since there is no one to dismiss
the dialog nothing happens until the alloted 2 minutes run out and the
test is marked as "timed out".

The solution would be to replace this direct function call with a
function pointer which you would initialize using GetModuleHandleA() and
GetProcAddress(). See dlls/kernel32/tests/sync.c for instance.

 "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
       ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" -- Linus Torvalds