The future of the native theming support

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Mon Apr 25 10:59:55 CDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:23:43AM +0200, Ivan Akulinchev wrote:
> As far as I know there already were some attempts to do something in
> this direction. But interesting patches I found in wine-patches were
> left without any response and Wine still looks like a monster from
> 90s. At the same time I see a lot of patches affecting the DirectX
> API. Is it the official position of the Wine maintainers to keep
> Wine as an OpenGL wrapper? Of course there are a lot of users who
> just want to play their Windows games on the Unix-like systems, but
> the need of working with normal desktop applications is still very
> high.

I don't think anyone is ideologically opposed to the idea, but the
problem is it's very hard to get right in such a way that won't break
applications. I think a more likely option would be to bring it up to
look like a modern Windows UI, or just any generic "modern" UI, even
if it doesn't match the native toolkit. But even that would be a
massive and difficult undertaking.

Andrew