Adding binfmt configuration to official Wine packages

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 22 11:20:06 CDT 2016

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:52:06 -0300
Bruno Jesus <00cpxxx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I don't understand the security implications yet. If I download a
> malware and run it like ./malware.exe or wine malware.exe what is the
> difference? Also in a file manager double clicking exe run wine
> correctly, why isn't this a security problem? What is a real example
> of a malware that benefits from this?

I was mostly thinking of malware that gets secretly downloaded by visiting a contaminated web page and then executes without the user ever seeing it. I also recall a few years ago getting malware from the school network on one of my flash drives. It installed an .exe file that was hidden in Windows, but which executed itself whenever I plugged the drive into a Windows computer. It couldn't do that on my Linux computer.

--
Rosanne DiMesio
dimesio at earthlink.net