Serial port sniffing problem

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 06:05:06 CST 2016

On 27 November 2016 at 22:53, Bill Lionheart <billlionheart at gmail.com> wrote:
> The bundled GPRS tracker config software installs and runs OK under
> Wine. But my attempts to sniff the serial port traffic fails using all
> the standard Linux methods I know.

Which were those, and what happens?

> I also tried using the Windows program Serial Port Monitor under Wine
> http://www.eltima.com/products/serial-port-monitor/ . This program
> says it cannot detect any serial ports.

Without knowing much about the software in question, I think there's a
good chance it works by hooking into the (Windows) kernel driver for
the serial port, or doing something similar. Perhaps that could be
made to work in Wine, but you'll likely have much more success with
intercepting the traffic on the Linux side.