finalizing 64-bit mixed mode issues

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 11:57:25 CST 2016

>> Changing the set of accepted IL code based on pointer size doesn't
>> seem right to me (and even if it is, amd64 is the wrong thing to check
>> for). The test indicates that .NET accepts the code either way, though
>> it is actually broken on win32.
>>
> Do you think it worth changing the patch in a way would arch independent
> (but crashing on such assemblies on x86), or wait for some reply on the
> bug in Mono for now?

Well, crashing doesn't seem right either, of course.

.NET seems to be very fragile when it encounters code like this, even
on win64. I didn't verify this, but the way your test crashes on win32
looks like stack corruption, which really shouldn't happen with code
that doesn't access any pointers. So, for Mono it may make more sense
to continue rejecting this kind of code, in which case we'd want it in
some form in Wine Mono (but it only feels worth it to me if Wine or at
least Wine Staging can use it).