GSoC Idea: Tools - Winetest Scripting Interface

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Sat Feb 13 20:31:45 CST 2016

On 14.02.2016 02:39, Zhenbo Li wrote:
> Hi Sebastian
>
> Thank you for reading my proposal. I wonder that Stefan Dösinger
> might want a more complicated solution (No change to current code,
> and write a full-functional script from scratch) When it comes to the
> schedule, I think "Winetest Graphical User Interface" might be a
> choice to provide enough work for this summer. I guess there are some
> coupled jobs for these two ideas.

Sounds good to me.

> BTW, do you think it's a good idea to send the patches to
> wine-staging first, and merge them to wine-git later(maybe one
> month?) to make sure "no surprise" is caused by my job?

For patches involving fundamental design decisions, it is better to send
them to wine-patches as early as possible - otherwise you are wasting a
lot of time to develop a feature, which is not accepted upstream later.
In your case that would be especially the changes affecting all wine tests.

If you have a couple of experimental patches, and would like to get some
testers even before you finished your clean up, then you can also send them
to Staging - but keep in mind that the goal of GSoC is to get your changes
into the development tree, so you should not work too much in advance
without discussing your proposed changes with the rest of the Wine project.

As a general remark, you also shouldn't be worried too much about causing
"surprises" - all patches are carefully reviewed before being merged, and you
can also ask on wine-devel (or your mentor directly) any time when you are
unsure. If you still manage to get a regression upstream, it would not only
be your fault, but also the fault of the reviewers. ;)