[GSoC Things] Want to make wpcap.dll become more usable on wine

André Hentschel nerv at dawncrow.de
Mon Feb 15 14:54:05 CST 2016

Am 15.02.2016 um 03:44 schrieb Jianqiu Zhang:
> Hi,

Hi,

thanks for your proposal.
comments below

> I am working on improving and implementing more functions for wpcap.dll on wine
> wpcap is the Windows version of pcap, Packet Capture Library for wireshark and other network analyzing software,
> I have done some research on it, In wine we cannot use the windows kernel driver, but winpcap actually use it, so
> I follow the wine wpcap code and try to add more wrapper to wpcap, Here is the patch I' ve submitted and was add
> to wine-staging, https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/tree/master/patches/wpcap-Several_Fixes
> One of the most difficult point is , there aren't many applications using wpcap.dll, I cannot found plenty of them,
> According to fracting(Hong Qian) 's suggestions, Dr.com , a Client for many Chinese university students to gain access to cernet
> uses wpcap, If wpcap.dll can improved to make it available for Dr.Com , maybe many university
> students using Linux can gain access to cernet. I will try to improve wpcap.dll in two different ways:
> 1. Use wine wpcap.dll , and write wrappers

I didn't know that there's something missing for running Dr.com, could you please elaborate?

> 2. Write packet.dll which is needed by native wpcap.dll, and then use native wpcap.dll

I'm not convinced we should reimplement packet.dll, it's open source and can easily be compiled with winelib.
Your code would be just a copy of the original with some adjustments or tries to alter it so that it looks different, like in the patch you posted.