RFC: Precompiled Headers for Wine Build (GSoC?)

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Feb 15 17:19:41 CST 2016

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, Kyle Auble wrote:
[...]
> It's been several months so I could be completely misremembering, but I want
> to say ccache didn't seem to help even subsequent builds of wine on my system
> (which has really old hardware). Just keeping the object files for make (which
> is a no-go for final tests) seemed to make a much bigger difference.

Not sure why keeping the object files would be a no-go (at least for
preprocessor mode).

However, note that nowadays ccache has two modes:
 * 'Preprocessor mode' where where ccache runs the preprocessor on the
   source code and hashes the result to find the object file in its
   cache.

 * 'Direct mode' where ccache hashes the source code and include files
   directly which lets it skip the preprocessor step too. There's a
   catch in this mode which is that creating a new header file may
   change the code that would be compiled, without ccache detecting it.

Direct mode should improve compilation times at least as much as
precompiled headers.

                     Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.