Wine Mono release plans

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 12:42:23 CST 2016

Hi everyone,

With Wine moving to a yearly stable release series, I thought it would
make sense to base Wine Mono updates on that schedule.

My general plan is to create a branch of Wine Mono after each new
development series of Wine begins. After this branch is made, there
will be no more merges from upstream Mono (barring some compelling
changes that can't easily be cherry-picked). Build fixes and obviously
correct bug fixes for related platforms will be cherry-picked from
upstream, as will changes that look especially relevant to Wine. If
you want to suggest a specific change for Wine Mono (whether it's
upstream or not), email me or send a pull request to one of my
repositories on github.

I've made a wine-mono-4.6 branch for this on github
(https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono/tree/wine-mono-4.6) and
there are 4.6.0 packages on dl.winehq.org
(http://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/4.6.0/). I plan to send patches
to update Wine to use this version shortly, but as always you can
install it early if you want by using 'wine64 msiexec' (or just 'wine
msiexec' if you have a 32-bit prefix).

Merges from upstream Mono will still be made on the master branch, and
I will work to keep Wine compatible with the master branch as the
development cycle goes on. However, no releases will be made from the
master branch.

Each Wine Mono series will be compatible with the corresponding
development series of Wine, and the stable series before and after.
Thus all Wine Mono 4.6.x versions should work with Wine 1.8.x, 1.9.x,
or 2.0.x.

I'm not sure if I will continue to publish changelogs for each
release. In this case, the only major changes in 4.6.0 are the update
from upstream and the ability to function on a basic level in a 64-bit
Wine process.