Wiki is being hammered by spammers

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Wed Jan 13 11:20:07 CST 2016

On 13.01.2016 18:00, Rosanne DiMesio wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:42:26 -0600
> Jeremy Newman <jnewman at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been fine with us hosting the Wiki for quite some time.
>>
>> What I propose is that we start fresh with a Mediawiki install on
>> WineHQ.org and manually migrate over to  it. I know migration tools
>> exist, but perhaps it would be better if we do it manually.
>
> I can help. Just tell me what I need to do.
>

>> At first we could keep it locked down to only a few editors until the
>> migration is done. After that, we can slowly open it up more.
>>

> Based on what I went through yesterday with our FrontPage spammer, we may want to always limit important pages (e.g., FrontPage, FAQ) to trusted editors.

Downloaded pages should also be protected. So far I haven't seen any spammer
messing around with them, but damage could be very high if unsuspecting users
execute malicious or wrong instructions.

I haven't seen any statement on wine-devel, so I assume nothing has been done
so far. Is there noone else besides Dimi who could put the Wiki into read-only
mode? An emergency solution could be to put the Wiki behind a proxy and block
login from there. If noone else has a better idea or feels motivated to do
this, I could set up such a proxy (its a matter of a few minutes), but it
requires modifications to the winehq DNS settings in order to work, and I
don't have access to that.

[A second version with write access can still be available using a "secret" URL. ;) ]

Regards,
Sebastian