New Wiki

Kyle Auble kyle.auble at zoho.com
Wed Jan 20 21:35:30 CST 2016

On 01/20/2016 01:44 PM, Jeremy Newman wrote:
> On 01/19/2016 05:31 PM, Kyle Auble wrote:
>> The new theme looks realllly good; I only noticed a couple things (on
>> Iceweasel/Firefox 38.5.0) about the navigation tabs. On the main WineHQ
>> pages (but not the wiki), they don't stick to the top of the window (I
>> think it's caused by the 45px margin-top for #whq-page-body, line 302 of
>> styles.css).
>
> The 45px margin-top on #whq-page-body allows the search input to be
> above it. The whq-search-box is absolute positioned. The tabs
> themselves have a 0 margin and padding, so nothing should be above them.

Yeah, for some reason I forgot to actually tweak that setting in
Inspector last night; I just measured the pixel gap I was seeing for the
nav-tabs, got 45px, and it seemed like a nice round number so I searched
for it in CSS. You're right, the content boxes rush to the top when I
unset it, but doing so does fix the gap for the nav-bar. So it's somehow
deciding the gap for me, but it turns out that WineHQ definitely isn't
the problem, Firefox before v.42 is:

https://www.fxsitecompat.com/en-CA/docs/2015/css-float-bugs-have-been-fixed/

I went ahead and checked some of the other pages, on a phone too
(Firefox for Android, v.43.0). The mobile theme looks amazing. I only
found two very minor things and one that's totally subjective. The first
is that we're still using the Moinmoin logo for the wiki entry on the
Support landing page; it looks like there's a wide set of MediaWiki
icons though, in png or svg and all licensed GPL or some form of CC:

(for png) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:MediaWiki_logos
(for svg) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:SVG_MediaWiki_logos

The second is that in the mobile version, content on the left of some
entries overflows into text on the right. It's just the other distro
icons on Download (but not the CrossOver icon) and longer words (but not
the icons) on the Support and Development pages. I think it's mostly the
padding collapsing some under my phone's narrow screen (~2 in), but if I
look closely even on desktop, the Support page labels "AppDB" and
"Bugzilla" don't seem to centered in their divs (or under their icons).
I don't know if this is Firefox specific too, but changing "text-align"
from "center" to "-moz-center" doesn't center the icons to the text.

However, removing "padding-right" from the "col-xs-2" and "col-md-1"
classes does at least center the icon over the text (if not the text
itself). Granted that's probably not the ideal solution, it could be
counter-productive on other pages, and it definitely will be if
padding-right is removed from the other classes in that mass-definition.

The totally subjective thing is that when I loaded the main page on my
mobile, for some reason having the About paragraph between the About
button and the other buttons felt strange to me (not that I even noticed
on the desktop). I can't really give any reason not to arrange it that
way though. So if nobody else feels the same or it's technically
simpler, definitely ignore my weird sensibilities.

Kyle