[v3 1/1] winejoystick.drv: Sort virtual joysticks by name on the Mac

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Fri Jul 22 00:41:24 CDT 2016

Hi,

On Jul 20, 2016, at 2:15 AM, David Lawrie <david.dljunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> +static CFStringRef copy_device_name(IOHIDDeviceRef device)
> +{
> +    CFTypeRef ref_name, ref_man;
> +    CFStringRef name;
> +    long prodID;

I prefer variables to be declared at the narrowest scope in which they're used.

> +
> +    if (device)
> +    {
> +        assert(IOHIDDeviceGetTypeID() == CFGetTypeID(device));
> +
> +        ref_name = IOHIDDeviceGetProperty(device, CFSTR(kIOHIDProductKey));
> +
> +        if (ref_name && CFStringGetTypeID() == CFGetTypeID(ref_name))
> +            name = CFStringCreateCopy(kCFAllocatorDefault,ref_name);
> +        else
> +            ref_man = IOHIDDeviceGetProperty(device, CFSTR(kIOHIDManufacturerKey));

I think it's simpler to use kIOHIDVendorIDKey with get_device_property_long().  Judging by the HID Calibrator code, kIOHIDManufacturerKey is not reliably available, but kIOHIDVendorIDKey should be.  It's also pretty fundamental to USB/HID.

> +            prodID = get_device_property_long(device, CFSTR(kIOHIDProductIDKey));
> +
> +            if(ref_man && CFStringGetTypeID() == CFGetTypeID(ref_man))
> +                name = CFStringCreateWithFormat(kCFAllocatorDefault, NULL, CFSTR("%@ %lu"), ref_man, prodID);

Better to format vendor and product IDs using "0x%04lx" since that's how they are usually represented (e.g. within HID Calibrator windows and System Profiler).  (Yes, I realize that Copy_DeviceName() which I cited previously formats them as decimal.)

Thanks for persevering in the face of my picky-ness. :)

-Ken