Student interested in GSoC 2016 implementing D3DX9 API idea

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 07:26:01 CST 2016

> Hello Wine Community,
>
> First congrats that Wine Project get accepted into GSoC 2016 summer
> organization!
> I am currently a PhD student in University of Toronto and I am
> interested in the D3DX9 API implementation task. Mainly because I would
> like to see more games can run in wine because of my work!

That's great!

> My research field is operating system so I am a pretty good C/CPP
> programmer. However I am not very familiar with DirectX related
> programming and hopefully I can get some help from the community, like
> where to start.
> I have read the wiki entry of D3DX9 API and want to get some help in
> selecting a reasonable sized API list, maybe someone can reply and
> provide some help?

I guess it depends on what you find most interesting among the
available functions / APIs. I suggest you to lookup the functions and
"areas" listed in the wiki on MSDN, in the Wine source code and on
Wine's bugzilla and then decide what you like or find most useful. The
various things listed aren't all of the same "size" (e.g. the fonts
stuff might be good enough for a GSoC project by itself while each of
the other entries probably isn't enough, while the entire "effect
framework" is likely too big) but selecting a reasonable set should be
easier once we know your preferences.