GSoC Idea: Tools - Winetest Scripting Interface

Zhenbo Li litimetal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 02:47:41 CST 2016

Hello,
To describe the goal of this project, I'll show some examples. If you
have ideas about the improvement of wine test suite, please let me
know.

A.
Alice is developing graphics driver, and wine's test for
d3d(8,9,10,11) would be a great test case. She was following this
workflow.
1. Edit graphics driver
2. cd /path/to/wine; cd dlls/d3dx9_36/tests; make test;
3. cd /path/to/wine; cd dlls/d3d9/tests; make test;
(test other graphics related dlls)
4. Edit graphics driver again.
5. Run wine tests again, and compare them manually.

With improved wine test suite, her workflow can be
1. Edit graphics driver
2. wine_test_suite --test_dll d3dx9_36 d3d9 d3d8 etc. --output result.txt
3. Edit graphics driver again
4. wine_test_suite --test_dll d3dx9_36 d3d9 d3d8 etc. --compare result.txt
And the script will tell Alice whether she had introduced, or fixed a bug.

B.
Bob is writing a patch for wine headers. After modification, he typed
'make test' and left the computer for lunch. When he came back, he
found that dlls/comdlg32/tests failed(it always happens on my PC), and
the make script stopped. He needed to spend another hour to test the
remaining components.
With the script, he could type
wine_test_suite --test_all --output result.txt
And Bob can get everything he wants after his lunch.

C.
Charlie is working on wininet. He was afraid that his patch might
broke other dlls which depend on wininet. With this script, he can run
wine_test_suite --group net
And all cases related to net can be tested(net is pre-configured in the script)

This is my humble opinion. I really appreciate your comments.

--
Have a nice day!
Zhenbo Li